On Good Friday?
Whilst every bar in the city, nay the country, was closed?
And me with a full service to do after?
Oh well, if I must.
It was sacrilegiously delicious.
- Alain Geoffroy Petit Chablis. So very drinkable without the need to pull faces.
- Finca los Primos Barbera from Argentina. Nom nom nom. One day Robert Parker will use nom noms for wine reviews, until then it's just me. Good for you BBQ monkeys.
- Ca Lunghetta Pinot Grigio. Not really a fan of Pinto G but this was really quite lovely. We tasted three the first which had no flavour, honestly I've had tap water with more going on in it (La Consulta) and another (La Casada) which was just a big stinky bottle of sugary water. Yak! But Ca Lunghetta Pinot Grigio was the Goldilocks of the three - floral, fresh and a must when the sun comes out.
- La Mano Mencia Roble 2007, oh my now here's an oddity. This was the Curb Your Enthusiasm of the wines we tasted. Eh? Do you remember the first time you watched Curb? Did you get it? Did you really understand what it was all about? Did you just think it was a bit odd? But, like me, you stuck with it because whilst you were not quite sure what was going on and why others around you were ooohing and ahhhing you stuck with it because you were intrigued. That's what this was like. At first I was all like, "Yak it tastes like a dirty wet dog" and then I was all like, "Yeah it tastes like dirty wet dog, it's great!" It takes more than a mouthful to love it, but love it you will. Parker gave it 90 points.
- But the outright winner, the one that caused much excitement and a clamor amongst the 3 of us to get to take the remaining content home was the 2006 Les Fumées Blanches, Sauvignon Blanc. Oh my. Oh my and I really mean that. Smokey, as the name suggests, with gooseberry flavours and a zesty thing going on this is just so lovely. Move over Ned, the French are back.....And for what it's worth Waiter Chum Number One got to take the bottle home and she got to go early too. I got hit upside my head and had to stay til close. But still, get it bought, get it drunk repeat til you fall over happy and with an inane grin on your face.*