Subscribe...

Friday 24 April 2009

This week I was mostly

This week I was mostly getting my hands dirty with actual work. Which was odd. I have taken to planting vegetable in my backyard. Oh happy day. I have planted aubergines, broad beans, chilli plants, basil, and coriander or cilantro as you crazy Americans keep calling it. I would post photos but I am too insecure and worried about green fingered old people telling me I ma doing it wrong. I get enough of that when I go home. But it's all very exciting and left me feeling very at one with old mother earth and all that hippy balls. Saying that I really wanted to be at one with next door's cat. I went out the next morning to bask in my green fingered triumph only to find that a certain fat ginger bastard had done a poo on my aubergine plant. Obviously I went to The Cousin first but assured me he didn't do it.

it's a tough life....

The cat thing has to be dealt with before I move on to stage 2, and the most exciting part at that, of my subsistence revolution - the growing of potatoes! Whoop whoop! That's right I whoop whooped for the growing of potatoes. I need to do some research into the whole affair as I don't have any ground into which to plant the spuds so I am intend to do it in a bucket. Youtube had the answer....




Brilliant! Just brilliant. I could listen to that chap talking about taters and pertaters all day long. Seriously. I wonder if he has any YouTubes on how to do a Wordpress Install. Heh. But whilst checking out all my growing options I came across this little beauty of a site, "Fuck Yeah Cilantro". As the title suggests it's all about coriander/cilantro. Passion, they has it. Yer man from the YouTube should start his own potato site, "Fuck hell goddamned yeah sirreee Pertaters". Ha! It should be noted that I have a poor track record when it comes to the raising of living things, whether they be plants or animals. The fish tank was a hotbed of death and tragedy on a scale not witnessed since the second world war. But ho hum one must try....


This week I was also mostly
stuffing croissants, vegetarian quiches, eclairs - both chocolate and coffee and some weird Grand Marnier choux thingy-ma-jig down my pie hole with uncontrollable haste. There's a new bakery opened near Well Done Towers and I am besotted with it's delectable French fancies and rustic breads. So much so in fact that I fell of my bike on the way home from the Boulangerie yesterday, such was my rush to get inside and let the eating begin, and as I careered towards the ground my only concern was for my box of precious buns and not my head. I got away with a grazed elbow and knee but the buns made it home safe. I am such a fat master.

there used to be six...

The funny thing about The Lisburn Road Bakery is the staff. They aren't the usual bakery staff, fat kid in a tabard wearing a hair net, but rather they all look like Apprentice candidates with their million dollar smiles, lovely hair, crisp white shirts and stockbroker ties. But they seem much nicer than Apprentice candidates and none of them look like back stabbing egomaniacs who would push over and old lady just to get ahead.

Next week I shall mostly be having a heart attack.....probably.

Have a good weekend.

31 People trying to get Manuel's attention:

Anonymous said...

A sprinkling of finely ground pepper round the plants will keep the cats away. Don't know if it'll have any effect on the cousin.

There's an old style kitchen sized bakery in Ballyhackamore opposite the Sandown Road lights. I'm not sure where they got their staff from but I'm pretty sure they only sell what they can't eat.

Manuel said...

99 words: bwahahaha so cruel yet so funny.....like man city!

Megan McGurk said...

If that cilantro blog gets a book deal I will be livid.

Nice going on the garden.
You'll be so proud when you get to cook with your own produce and herbs.

Manuel said...

medbh: oh they probably will...tv show too...arf

rsynnott said...

http://www.ihatecilantro.com/

This one came first, I think. Though, of course, in real life it is called coriander.

Apparently it is one of these things (like celery) that is genetic. About 20% of people have a gene which allows them to get an unpleasant taste from it which normal people can't perceive at all.

Belfast Barista said...

Citronella oil. It worked a cracker for keeping our cat off the chrimbo tree, and it smells nice too :) Just dab some round the plant pots, the wee buggers hate it :)

Apparently you can grow spuds in a bin. One of those big black garden ones you can nab at B&Q on Boucher Rd. Oh wait hang on- if you live on the Lisburn rd, stands to reason you got those big long alleyways behind your house- nick a neighbour's wheelie bin after the lorry's been round! We did it all the time on Melrose St (since some git always nicked ours). Those big high alleys mean no-one can see your crimes. Muahaha! You'll be able to grow millions of spuds in it. :D
And no it's technically not a crime is it? I mean, everyone in Belfast nicks their neighbour's bin. It's traditional, innit?

savannah said...

i am impressed, sugar! i've thought about a vegetable garden. i've even purchased books about vegetable gardening. sadly, that's as far as i've progressed. *sigh* i think i'll just stick with some easy flowering plants in the front garden. *sigh*
xoxoxo

(aubergines sounds so much more delightful than eggplants)

sugarpie said...

Tell it brother! Creepy gardening droogs-no matter what you plant, or when, no matter how successful...they can find a way to kill the buzz and fast. Bon chance w/ the spuds- Im sure they'll do great. Pretty cool Texas Chainsaw Gardner youtube.

I'm w/ Savannah on the aubergines. And no one can cook them like the cajuns in southern Louisiana, unless it the Lebanese.

Flann O'Coonassa said...

Perhaps an overreaction to the cat problem Manuel, but would you consider housing a pack of Rottweilers in your back garden? Just until the vegetables are strong enough to fend for themselves?

Now, granted, the Rottweilers might start pooping in the vegetables. But that's where the polar bears come in. And so on, and so forth...

Killer said...

Those buns are making me dribble

AnFearBui said...

Manuel, the 21C Tatie hoker. Why not use one of these
http://tinyurl.com/d9nolp

Unknown said...

So far at the Drummstead...
Rhubarb
Jerusalem Artichokes
All manner of herbs
Apple trees
Pear trees
Cherry trees
A peach tree

planning a polytunnel and extensive veg plot next year.

Manuel said...

robert: exactly coriander.....!it's the new bacon apparently....

belfast barista: hold on a mo.......did you steal my bin? I find myself without a bin and yet you seem yo have no problem half inching bins....hmmmmm!

savannah: oh I have the books alright....had them for years......sake....

sugarpie: I picture him wearing dungarees.....and chewing tobacco...

flann: ah....a pack of devil dogs, as the sun calls them, what bliss

killer: you were dribbling already

anfearbui: ha! add to barrow....good site.....cheers

Manuel said...

conan: oh my! how superb....was thinking about a cherry tree too.....

toast said...

DAMN THAT OLYMPUS CAMERA!!111eleventy


Great post manuel - someone should do a blog about this kinda thing.... *cough*

Daily Spud said...

That video is class! So happy to know that you is sho' nuff gonna plant pertaters inna buckit. So very exciting, I'd be whoop, whoopin' meself.

carine said...

i can eat ten chocolate eclairs in one sitting. i save this party trick for special occasions but i can.

x

The Cousin said...

How may times you gonna bring this up..........i stopped pooing in the garden after the 'incident' with her from next door.....sake.

Datsuncog said...

If you're looking for more sugary treats on the Lisburn Road, check out Cafe Polska down from Tates Ave... the best jam doughnuts ever ever. The size of a child's head and cooked to brown melting perfection. But avoid the tinned cheese at all costs.

I think Belfast Barista has my bin too. Or I have Belfast Barista's bin. It's damn confusing in South Belfast... maybe someone should organise a big bin-swap... or something.

The Mistress said...

my only concern was for my box of precious buns

I don’t know what I’d do if anything ever happened to your precious buns.

I’d have to stop blogging, I suppose.

Red Leeroy said...

Lisburn Road here I come.

Stephan said...

Acckkkk!!! Why oh why oh why did I go look at the Lisburn Road website knowing full well I live a good 3000 miles away???? Now I'm hungry with no hope of getting any. Oh well, Atlanta Bread Company here I come! Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

A good website with the potato growing in pots explanation is here...
http://www.growbetterveggies.com/growbetterveggies/potatoes/
I love the way she does her tomatoes too....

Anonymous said...

http://www.growbetterveggies.com/growbetterveggies/potatoes/

Oops, here is the exact link....

Anonymous said...

geez. it won't show up.
just add the word /potatoes/ at the end!

Belfast Barista said...

Nah I no longer live on Melrose St. However my old flatmates are still in on the bin jiggery pokery.
Maybe we should organise a Bin Amnesty?

Our bin disappeared 4 months ago and No. 45 was left in it's place. Funny that we took their bin, no-one ever came looking for it, and yet ours is never left out on rubbish day. Hmm... I guess bins are a bit like the Littlest Hobo.... you will have one for a while,...but you can never truly own it. They make their way from place to place (or get burnt out).

Anonymous said...

no idea what the purpose of video was for Mr. Puh-TAY-ter... if he gets rich posting video of buckets of dirt, i'm done with humanity. done, i say...

Jenny said...

Potatoes in a bucket?

I'm.So.There.

It's the only thing we grow in this part of the world.

Happy Weekend.

Native Minnow said...

Sometimes I think it'd be nice to have a vegetable garden. Then I think of the amount of work it would take. Not just to plant it, but to weed it, or even to check and see if anything's growing.

Lisa said...

A friend used to plant a border of marigolds to deter cats from using his flower beds as a litter box. He would also pick the seed pods and dry them so he had seeds for the next year.

Dunno if it actually works in plant pots but perhaps it's worth a try.

A pellet gun or slingshot is also a nice deterent. Cousin might enjoy this activity since his other garden activities have been stopped.

The Sexy Pedestrian said...

I did the growing veg thing last year, potatoes grow like you wouldn't believe, but they're not worth the effort for the sake of €2 for a bag in Aldi. Spring onions are GREAT though, you could grow 'em in a welly, they're that easy and they taste amazing. I tried basil a number of times, died a death every time, I don't know what happened.

Chilli plants though? That's interesting...