Subscribe...

Wednesday 3 September 2008

Operation Red Curry Paste.......


Ladies and gentlemen, we got him!

Not in a fox hole in Iraq but rather wandering aimlessly around a Tesco's supermarket. Yes today I, Manuel T. Waiter, managed to find the missing chef whilst trying to find a decent red curry paste. There he was wandering around the supermarket surprisingly clean shaven but with piss holes for eyes. He tried to duck behind the buy one get one free Fox's Mints display when he saw me but being the size of a small shit house that really wasn't going to work. Plus I was hide-n-seek champion three years in a row. I was rubbish at hiding due to an inability to stop laughing but my seeking skills were never in doubt.

His two chums walked on but I had him cornered, no escape.

"Alrighty big fella! What's your story then?"

"We have party. Beeeeeg party!" He's Polish by the way.

" All weekend?" I asked with a huge slice of skepticism.

"It was very very beeeeeg party." The way his hands were shaking there was no doubting it had been a very beeeeeg party. He had the delirium tremours and then some, all Jazz Hands and jittery face. Undoubtably large quantities of vodka had been consumed just like they do in the old country.

"So you going back to work or what?"

He shrugged his shoulders and said, "Aaaaaahhhhhh maybe I go back tomorrow."

"You're in the shit big fella. You dropped them right in the poo at the weekend."

He shrugged his shoulders. Good defense that, shoulder shrugging. Let me tell you there are a couple of chefs who, when they come face to face with him, will be expecting more than shoulder shrugging.

"Yes I know this but the party went a bit bad."

"Eh?"

"Men came. Men with hairy faces eh you know what I mean."

"No, I have no idea what you mean. Men with beards? What are you on about?" I had a vision of a bus load of hirsute men gatecrashing his party.

"You know.....the men with hairy faces....hairy faces and baseball sticks."

"Hairy faces? D'uh! You mean wooly faces."

"Yes wooly faces. Yes many men with wool faces. They came and beat up the house and then hit my friend up his face."

The men with wooly faces are community activists paramilitaries. The wooly faces bit comes from there fondness for wearing balaclavas. Although mostly they dispense with such things these days as they pretty much carry out their work with impunity. They take a dim view towards parties that don't involve themselves even if they sold the drugs that made the party so "beeeeeg". They wrecked the house, putting and end to the party and suggested that the occupants find alternative accommodation.

"Jesus. It must have been some party."

"Yes it was very beeeeeg party." He laughed but furnished me with no further details. If he is still employed by the time I get back to work I will push him further.

"There was fighting and my friend got hurt. Now we must find new house to live in." He was surprisingly upbeat about the whole thing. I'd have been a wet mess in the corner of a darkened room somewhere. Somewhere far away at that.

His chums were keen to get on and they beckoned him to get moving. And off he toddled. I guess worrying about your job comes second to worry about the ability to walk, the men with wooly faces have a penchant for knee breaking, and finding somewhere to live.

Still, at least I found him. Never found any decent red curry paste. Story of my life really, find a chef lose a paste.

22 People trying to get Manuel's attention:

Megan McGurk said...

Wooly faces!
Love that.
At least he knows what's at stake.

Do you want a chef with the DTS handing cutlery?
Scary thought.

Manuel said...

medbh: he's still be better than some of them, hangover or not....

Anonymous said...

Since when did paramilitaries gatecrash Polish house parties? And to think he could have simply called in sick with a stomach bug!

Manuel said...

byw: all the bloody time......it was in a north antrim town....he could have, he probably should have but he didn't and I got a story out of it...

Anonymous said...

Torn between “they haven’t gone away you know” and that sepia toned solution presented down here that we had a Hollywood ending to a 30 year affair. Naive in the extreme I know, but I like naive, I like delusion, I like RTE and BBC and happy endings.
Stereotypical chefs are wonderful creatures, passionate and creative, and sullen and sorry too.
And stereotypical Sunday lunches (from your last posting), well there’s a Hollywood creation too. I wouldn’t go a restaurant with my gang, couldn’t afford it or the misery of the tension and containment.
Hopefully this week’s crowd are more communicative. Great stuff Manual.

Manuel said...

sniffle&Cry: Kids eat free init.....the fucking bane of my life..as for stereotypical chefs...it's a stereotype cos it's true.....

Anonymous said...

We know where you live matey! Yer knees are mine!

Anonymous said...

manuel, you could head down to his place with a 'wooly face' and threaten him to come back to work. He would definitely turn up. And early too.

Anonymous said...

Ah those little paramilitary scamps, what will they come up with next, eh? Still, at least they're out in the fresh air and not cooped up infront of the tv.

Unknown said...

Any chance Baklava will make it onto the menu now?

Anonymous said...

Was artur boruc at this beeeg party it would explain a lot

Manuel said...

swf: aye yer ma......

redleeroy: christ no.......he's probably ready for them now...

sheepo: and I suppose old habits, and party goers, die hard.....

conan: no none no chance......thanks for asking though.....I have tried Polish food and I do not like it......

toast: bwahahahaha boruc, with all his woes he needs to stay away from house parties in the Larne/ballyclare area.....in fact we all need to stay away from such social events in the larne/ballyclare area.....

Anonymous said...

Nothing like being caught out on a faked sickie.

Although his excuse is better than any I've ever heard.

Manuel said...

jen: it's the best I've heard in al while and he'll get away with it too......

Anonymous said...

Manuel, you just need to stay away from Larne/Ballyclare full stop.
The only reason to go to Larne is to get the boat out of the place.
It's a beeeeg sheeeethole.

Manuel said...

Dave: no question Dave......sage and worldly advice

Anonymous said...

By bin I obviously meant Tesco's. Honest.

Arthur C Boyle said...

In a supermarket? Well I never. It's elementary my dear Manuel.

Anonymous said...

Men with hairy faces - the summers biggest blockbuster.

I worked at a party like that once, it went on for 60 straight hours, I was nearly tempted to become a man with a hairy face by the end of it myself.

Jenny said...

that's scary schnizz.

I love the attitude about whether or not he still has a job. I'd be in a total panic and ..... oh, would probably come up with armed robbers to explain why I shouldn't be fired.

Matter of fact, I may have used that at one time in my youth.

Anonymous said...

Ah fair go.

I mean, I love beating up Polish fellas as much as the next guy, but ruining a perfectly good party?!

Bad form...

Manuel said...

boy_wonder: ha! failed....

arthur c boyle: welcome. elementary indeed....

maxi: I have a phone number if you ever need it.....

boxer: turns out he didn't go back to work again so his excuse is now moot.....he's a goner......

oftr: wrecked the stereo n all....oh and one guy ended up with a bust face.....